Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 3

Your idea of the perfect first date:

I really don't know how to answer this one.  I've been on a whole buttload of crappy first dates, and another buttload of mediocre ones.  Oh.  No really.  Ask me sometime, I've got hours of entertainment for you on demand.  (Remind me to tell you about the infamous Pie Date someday. *shudder*)  Can't say that I ever had a perfect first date though, and I'm not sure what would constitute one.  In my experience, first dates are often riddled with awkward moments, nervous laughter, and bouts of silence in which you're both trying to pick a new topic of discussion but can't think of just the right thing to say.  (On one first date, the guy kept saying over and over "mmm, this is good pho" - I lost count of how many times he said it.) 

Movies aren't great first dates because you don't get to talk to each other and actually engage in conversation.  But strictly dinner can lead to too much opportunity for conversation without enough distraction, and you run out of topics.  Girls typically don't like to get all sweaty and gross when they're trying to make a good first impression on a guy, so physical activity is out.  We don't live by the ocean, so a walk on the beach isn't an option.  Horseback riding is painful and smelly.  And amusement parks are totally fun, but could be embarrassing, and are usually pretty expensive.

Maybe it's best to just keep it nice and simple.  Like a coffee/hot chocolate date.  Or an ice cream date.  Enough time to have some conversation, but not too much awkward silence.  Enough of a taste to decide whether you'd like to know/see more of the person.

Hmm.  I'd like to hear other opinions on this topic.  What's YOUR idea of a perfect first date?

3 comments:

  1. My idea of a perfect first date....would be a picnic and honest conversation. I mean, you can't get to know someone by sitting in a movie theater or a crowded restaurant. Simple, honest conversation and possibly some tea. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tour a museum and get Jamba Juice. Done :) Then you can gauge their intelligence AND their enthusiasm for Jamba Juice. Two of the most important things in getting to know a person if you ask me... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janae, I always knew you were a genius. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete